Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Umm...Excuse me, Kuwait? I Think You're Doing it Wrong

I struggled to come up with an interesting commentary on this post. I uploaded the photos about 5 days ago and each day I started to write a snidely clever something about them and each day I saved it as a draft and gave up. Maybe I should change the post title to: "Umm... Excuse me, G4? I Think You've Lived in Kuwait Too Long."
If you're wondering what exactly you're looking at, yes, that's a construction crane turned on its side. Nevermind that parking such equipment in the middle of a busy city street, without "under construction" signs or even a beat up old orange cone, is standard operation - yeah don't worry about that, just drive around it and watch out for falling building materials. My guess is that the operator over-estimated his load/reach ratio and toppled like a 6'3" junior high kid whose shoe size hasn't caught up with his last growth spurt trying to lift a backpack over his head. Did you see that little soccer shop? It now has a nice, dusty skylight.

I cruise down this street everyday to and from work dodging alley cats, kids on bikes, guys crossing the street while texting on their mobiles, other cars unconcerned with right-of-way, guys with wheelbarrows, guys who stop in the middle of the road to stare at me and, oh yeah, bigass construction cranes. On this day I turned the corner, almost to my apartment, and saw this. I went home, grabbed my good camera and snapped these photos. Just for you.
You know... When you reach the point where an overthrown crane is an event is so typical, so situation-normal, that it scarcely causes a flutter on the interest scale, what do you think, maybe it's time for a change in scenery?

No comments: